12-10 holiday eating
Interview with NSCA
(National Strength & Conditioning Association)
In this session Dawn Weatherwax discusses the difference between glycemic load and the glycemic index (GI). Additionally, she divulges the complexitites of the GI and how to assess and administer glycemic variables appropriately.
Ask Us about our Healthy Edge program to help you release the fat for good!
This program is designed for businesses/one-on one/groups
Take Control of Your Health During the Holidays! By Dawn Weatherwax, RD, CSSD, LD, ATC, CSCS and Ashley Meuser MS
The holidays are quickly approaching and we want to help you beat the bulge. The average person gains 5-7 pounds during the holidays! Pumpkins are the perfect food to help keep your health on track. Pumpkins are full of vitamin A, potassium, zinc, and fiber. Vitamin A is an antioxidant which increases immune function and decreases risk of infection and cancer. Potassium can decrease blood pressure and reduce the risk for hypertension. Zinc boosts your immune system, which is helpful when heading into the cold months! Fiber helps regulate digestion and can help in preventing cancer and heart disease.
The flesh of a pumpkin has a mild, sweet flavor and the smaller ones tend to be more tender and juicy. You can cook the flesh as you would a winter squash. Other ways to enjoy pumpkins:
- Cook mashed pumpkin with chicken broth, fat-free half-and-half, nutmeg, onion and other spices for pumpkin soup.
- Add fresh, cooked, or canned pumpkin to pancake batter.
- Make a pumpkin smoothie! Get creative. Stick some pumpkin, fat-free milk, and frozen vanilla yogurt in a blender and enjoy.
Of course it wouldn’t be the holidays without delicious pumpkin pie. This holiday try a healthier version of pumpkin pie. For the crust use whole-wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose flour and replace the butter with heart-healthy canola oil. For the pumpkin filling, use low-fat sweetened condensed milk instead of full-fat.
"The strategies that we built together have worked extremely well and I can say without a doubt that we have accomplished every goal."
Regional Director, Dent Wizard Intl.
I want to thank you for helping me achieve my health and fitness goals. As you know, I'm a 41 year old male that believes I still have athletic prowess (just kidding). This has been a 5 month journey to meet my goal of losing 30 pounds and reducing my body fat to the 10%-12% range. I have actually lost around 35 pounds and my body fat is in the 14%-15% range. Great Results!!! The real magic started when I came to you for help. When I came to you I had 4 very important things I needed in my strategy:
- Address the health issues I have been facing over the past few years. High Cholesterol and very low energy levels. I also have a strong family history of heart disease
- Comprehensive nutrition strategy that fit my lifestyle. I travel up to three weeks a month for my profession. It hasn't been easy eating healthy on the road.
- Clear Nutritional guidelines. Guidelines needed to be very easy to understand and most importantly easy to implement.
The strategies that we built together have worked extremely well and I can say without a doubt that we have accomplished every goal. Along the journey I have also become very educated about nutrition and fitness. I've had a few people in my circle of influence that have asked me for advice because of the changes they have witnessed in me.
I feel terrific and I wouldn't be in this shape if I didn't address my nutritional faults.
Thank you again!
Love Starts in the Kitchen!™
By: Rita Nader Heikenfeld, CCP, CMH Macy's Regional Culinary Professional, Syndicated Columnist Community Press, and Certified Modern Herbalist. You can blog her at Cincinnati.com or reach her through her website,
Pumpkin and Chipotle Corn Chowder
The smokiness and heat of the chipotles is perfect for such a soup, and is nicely balanced by its creaminess. Adapted from Dave Lieberman's awesome class he taught with me at Macy's!
- 3 Tablespoons healthy butter
- 4 cups fresh cubed pumpkin (from a 3-4# pumpkin)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart reduced-sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 pound frozen corn kernels
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fat free half & half
- 5 thyme sprigs or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small bunch cilantro, stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
Heat the butter or oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the pumpkin and onion and cook 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir into the onion and pumpkin. Gradually add the chicken stock, stirring all the while. Add the corn, chipotle peppers, half & half and the thyme and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is fork-tender but not falling apart. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in most of the cilantro leaves, reserving some for garnish. Ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish with the remaining cilantro leaves.
- Dawn Weatherwax was part of a marketing team for a LARGE Company on their healthy snacks. Nov’10.
- Dawn Weatherwax did a series of youtube videos with Rita Heikenfeld on dorm to apartment eating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWs0lVWzbmA
- Dawn Weatherwax was quoted for AOL Health on “How to Beat Bloat” http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-center/stomach-pain/avoid-bloating.com
- Dawn Weatherwax presented to Wimberg Landscaping on “Balancing Work and Life” Nov‘10.
- Dawn Weatherwax spoke to all Darke County High Schools on “Fueling the High School Athlete for Optimal Performance” Nov ‘10. Sponsored by Wayne HealthCare
- Dawn Weatherwax spoke to Thomas More Students on “Fighting the Freshman Fifteen” Oct ’10. Sponsored by Student Activity Board.
- Dawn Weatherwax spoke to Wright State Athletes on “Priming for Performance." Oct’ 10.
- Dawn Weatherwax spoke to University of Cincinnati College of Music Dance Division on “Fueling for Performance” Oct ‘10
- Dawn Weatherwax did a series of health and wellness topics to a top law firm in Columbus. Oct ‘10
- Dawn Weathewax spoke to University of Nebraska at Kearney on “Supplementation” Sept ’10. Sponsored by the NCAA
- Dawn Weatherwax spoke to Ms Basketball Tournament on “The Power of Nutrition for All Levels”. July ’10. Sponsored by Gatorade
Sports Nutrition for Wrestling Tournaments
- Learn which nutrients are the most important for performance
- Learn post weigh-in sports nutrition techniques to optimize recovery and specific food examples
- Learn general nutritional guidelines during tournaments and which foods give you the most bang for your buck!
- Learn specific sports nutritional guidelines for dual meets, tournaments and multi-day tournament
- Receive a sample sports nutritional plan for a tournament day
- Learn what additional steps a serious wrestler can take to optimize performance
OPTIMIZE YOUR EFFORTS WITH A PERSONALIZED SPORTS NUTRITION PROGRAM!
50% off a bod pod at SN2Go the month of Jan 11'
Distance does not matter! We can work with you whether you are local or remote!!!!!
Interested in staying up-to-date on Sports Nutrition? SN2G.com publishes frequent eNewsletters that provide useful information for everyone from pro athletes to soccer moms.